Sun Devils Return to Whiteman to Host Rice
TEMPE, Ariz. – Back at the Whiteman Tennis Center for the first time in three weeks, the Sun Devils (8-6, 1-4) will host the Rice Owls on Saturday, March 26, at 11 a.m. MST.
Fans can tune into the action via the ASU Live Stream or follow along with live stats. Both will be made available to fans prior to the start of play on Saturday.
The Sun Devils have made life tough on visiting opponents this spring in Tempe. In eight matches, they're 7-1, with key wins coming against San Diego and Kansas State.
The Owls are coming in hot, victorious in their previous five contests and, like the Sun Devils, boasting one of the top doubles duos in the nation. In the latest ITA rankings, the Patricija Spaka-Domenika Turkovic tandem was listed as the No. 26 duo in the country.
PREVIEWING THE OWLS (11-3)
- After a 4-0 sweep against Tulane on March 20, the Owls are currently listed as the No. 49 team in the nation, per the latest ITA team polls.
- Sporting a 10-3 record so far this spring, the Owls' duo of Maria Budin and Diae El Jardi is the No. 25 doubles team in the nation. Just one spot behind them sits Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic, which is shaping up to be a tremendous contest when the two teams meet on Saturday.
- At 11-2 this season, Anna Botwell has secured her spot as No. 10 on Rice's career wins list.
- Freshman Allison Zipoli is having a terrific season, leading the Owls with a team-best 16 singles wins.
- Led by 13th-year head coach Elizabeth Schmidt, the Owls have reached nine straight NCAA Tournaments.
The Sun Devils were originally scheduled to host two home matches this weekend, but their Sunday contest against Ohio State was canceled.
Stay up to date with the Sun Devils' weekend tilt against the Owls via the team's Twitter account, @ sundevilwtennis.