Jalaysiya Smith wins 100m Hurdles; Brendon Stewart, Jalyn Jackson Take Second In Events At Texas Relays
Jalaysiya Smith won the women's University/College 100m hurdles and Brendon Stewart in the U/C men's 100m and Jalyn Jackson in the men's long jump section B earned second-place finishes, while four individuals and two Trojan relays advanced to finals tomorrow during USC's second day of action at the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike A. Myers Track & Soccer Stadium in Austin, Texas today (March 25).
- Smith won the women's University/College 100m hurdles timed final with a time of 13.50 (+1.5). She was first out of 51 runners in the event.
- Stewart was second in the men's University/College 100m dash, winning his heat with a time of 10.29 (+2.8w). After 14 heats and 92 runners, he finished second by 0.007 seconds. Gavin Schurr was third in the same heat and finished 11th overall with a time of 10.37 (+2.8w).
- Jackson took second in the men's long jump section B with a best jump of 24-8.50/7.53m (+0.8). Jackson later came back to finish fifth in the men's triple jump section A with a best jump of 51-7.00/15.72m (+1.4).
- The early buzz on the track was from the women's 100m dash first round where Celera Barnes posting the top women's 100m dash qualifying time of 11.07 (+1.2). That time is a personal best and moves her from eighth to fourth on USC's all-time list. She entered the weekend with the fastest time in the country of 11.12. Samirah Moody also advanced to tomorrow's final with a PR of 11.24 (+1.2), which was third overall.
- Tade Ojora had a time of 13.74 (+0.3) to finish second in his men's 110m hurdles heat and advance fourth to tomorrow's final.
- Jasmine Jones opened with a time of 13.01 (+0.9) to finish second in her women's 100m hurdles heat and advance to tomorrow's final with the fifth-fastest qualifier.
- Both the men's and women's 4x100m relays advanced to finals tomorrow, with the men's team qualifying fourth and the women fifth. The USC men's 4x100m relay team of Schurr, Stewart, Eric Allen Jr. and Johnnie Blockburger had a time of 39.30. The women's 4x100m relay team of Barnes, Moody, Okonkwo and Jan'Taijah Ford posted a time of 43.96.
The Trojans' track and field team will close out action at the Texas Relays tomorrow, beginning at 8:40 a.m. PT with the women's 4x800m relay.