LaFollette, McClellan Shine on Day One
BOISE, Idaho – Madelyn LaFollette and Daley McClellan posted a pair of wins Friday during the opening matches of the Boise State Beach Classic, but the Oregon beach volleyball team suffered two 3-2 losses on the day. The Ducks are now 8-10 this season.
Match 1 – Colorado Mesa 3, Oregon 2
The Ducks tallied the first point of the match with a three-set victory by LaFollette and McClellan. The UO pair shook off a rough opener, rallying for an 11-21, 21-18, 15-10 takedown of Macie Lachemann and Holly Schmidt.
After Colorado Mesa tied the score with a win on court four, Reagan Hope and Brooke Nuneviller swept their way to a 21-16, 21-15 triumph at No. 1 pairs. The Ducks' top duo improved to 9-3 with the victory, its third in a row.
Oregon led 2-1 after the Hope/Nuneviller result but Colorado Mesa pulled off a hotly contested win at No. 3 pairs, a 21-19, 18-21, 17-15 decision over Zoe Almanza and Chloe Brown in just their fourth match together of the year, and first since March 12. The Mavericks completed the comeback with a straight-set and clinching win on court five.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) def. Hahni Johnson/Savannah Spitzer (CMU) – 21-16, 21-15
2. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (ORE) def. Macie Lachemann/Holly Schmidt (CMU) – 11-21, 21-18, 15-10
3. Jada Hall/Jessa Megenhardt (CMU) def. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) – 21-17, 21-17
4. Sierra Hunt/Ara Norwood (CMU) def. Zoe Almanza/Chloe Brown (ORE) – 21-19, 18-21, 17-15
5. Sabrina VanDeList/Tye Wedhorn (CMU) def. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) – 23-21, 21-13
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5* | * - clincher
Match 2 – Boise State 3, Oregon 2
LaFollette and McClellan picked up their second win of the day, this time in straight sets with a 21-14, 21-13 victory over the Broncos' Rorianna Chartier/Sierra Land on court two. The win gave Oregon the early 1-0 lead but BSU tied things up with a two-set sweep at No. 4 pairs.
The weekend hosts followed up with wins at court one and five to clinch the dual. In that match at the five spot, Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist won a tough 22-20 first set but the Boise tandem of Joey Benson and Emilia Guerra-Acuna recovered to win the next two sets and match.
In the final matchup on court, Alex Laita and Bea Wetton erased a third-set deficit for a 23-25, 21-18, 17-15 victory. The Ducks trailed by four as late as the BSU duo of Kaylee Mejia and Sharli O'Neil holding an 11-7 advantage.
1. Erin Martin/Yasmin Tan (BSU) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) – 21-15, 21-14
2. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (ORE) def. Rorianna Chartier/Sierra Land (BSU) – 21-14, 21-13
3. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Kaylee Mejia/Sharli O'Neil (BSU) def. – 23-25, 21-18, 17-15
4. Danielle Boss/Madison Nichols (BSU) def. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) – 21-18, 21-18
5. Joey Benson/Emilia Guerra-Acuna (BSU) def. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) – 20-22, 21-13, 15-13
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 5*, 3 | * - clincher
Day two of the Boise State Beach Classic features a matchup with Pac-12 foe Washington. It will be the second meeting between the two teams this season; the Ducks posted a 3-2 win over UW last weekend during the Pac-12 South Invitational in Phoenix.
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.