Practice Report: USC Football Scrimmages In Coliseum In Preparation For Spring Game
USC's tenth practice of spring camp featured a new backdrop for the first time in the Lincoln Riley Era. The Trojans scrimmaged in the historic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Tuesday (April 12), previewing what's to come next Saturday during the team's Spring Showcase.
"First time on the grass here; felt good," head coach Lincoln Riley said. "First time to actually be down here at all. So that was a lot of fun coming down here and scrimmaging today. The guys handled it well."
Similar to the Trojans' first scrimmage earlier in spring, USC's coaching staff took a hands-off approach Tuesday to evaluate where it stands. Riley's initial evaluation of the day noted that there was less back and forth between both sides of the ball - something they've observed in prior practices.
"The offense played pretty well early," Riley explained. "Defense was really close, strong. Defense overall certainly won the day … [they] had a pretty long period of time where they were able to sustain some pretty good play; played more consistently than the offense did."
USC has just five practices left in its 2022 spring camp. Riley stressed that the team needs to close out strong.
"Losers coast. Average programs coast," Riley said. "We've got five left and we've got to make the very most of them. So if we're truly about what we say internally, then these next five will be our best practices."
Hello from USC's 10th practice of spring camp 👋🏼 pic.twitter.com/fNmTG8O8HF
— Keely Eure (@keelyismyname) April 12, 2022
Things to note from USC's tenth practice of spring
- Running backs coach Kiel McDonald praised senior Austin Jones for his growth this spring.
- "Austin Jones has been ballin'," McDonald said. "He's had explosive runs. He's catching the ball. His protection has, from practice one to practice ten, has been phenomenal in terms of growth."
- Wide receiver John Jackson shared some insight into what the players are working for this offseason.
- "We're trying to win a championship. That's number one," Jackson said. "That's definitely the energy and mindset that we have everyday we come out here."
- Offensive lineman Maxmimus Gibbs shared that he lost 30 pounds this offseason.
- "I feel way lighter this year than last year," Gibbs said. "It's really a blessing and I'm just going to keep going."
Save the Date
Fans' first chance to see the Trojans this spring will be at USC's Spring Game on April 23. More information will be released this week.
New numbers to know
0 - WR Terrell Bynum
2 - WR Brenden Rice
4 - WR Mario Williams
6 - RB Austin Jones
8 - WR CJ Williams
13 - QB Caleb Williams
26 - RB Travis Dye
70 - OL Bobby Haskins
1 - CB Domani Jackson
2 - EDGE Romello Height
6 - CB Mekhi Blackmon
21 - CB Latrell McCutchin
31 - DL Tyrone Taleni
53 - ILB Shane Lee
97 - DT Earl Barquet