Card Beats Bulldogs to Open NCAA Tournament
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Stanford men's tennis opened the NCAA Tournament on a positive note, sweeping No. 35 Mississippi State, 4-0, on Friday at Beren Tennis Center on Harvard's campus. The Cardinal improves to 18-5 this season with the result, and to 4-0 all-time against Mississippi State.
Stanford picked up the doubles point with wins on courts two and three to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Max Basing and Timothy Sah rolled to a 6-1 victory in the third position, and were followed by the pair of Arthur Fery and Alexandre Rotsaert on court two, who finished a 6-4 decision.
The Cardinal tallied a trio of straight-set wins to clinch the match. Basing and Rotsaert continued their momentum from doubles, finishing within minutes of each other on courts two and three. Sah provided the clinching point in the fifth position, winning a 7-5 tiebreaker to take his match, 6-2, 7-5 (5).
With the win, Stanford advanced to the second round for the seventh-straight tournament. The Cardinal improves to 112-25 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
Stanford advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, where it will take on either Harvard or Monmouth on Saturday, May 7 at 11 a.m. PT.
No. 18 Stanford 4, No. 35 Mississippi State 0
1) No. 41 Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) led No. 47 Broska/Ramskogler (MSU), 5-4 uf
2) No. 25 Arthur Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Malesevic/Tortora (MSU), 6-4
3) Basing/Sah (STAN) d. Hernandez/Viliicic (MSU), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1) No. 112 Axel Geller (STAN) trailed No. 17 Florian Broska (MSU), 5-7, 6-6 uf
2) No. 80 Max Basing (STAN) d. No. 75 Nemanja Malesevic (MSU), 6-3, 7-5
3) No. 78 Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) d. Gregor Ramskogler (MSU), 6-4, 6-2
4) Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) led Carles Hernandez (MSU), 6-4, 3-3 uf
5) Timothy Sah (STAN) d. Davide Tortora (MSU), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6) Filip Kolasinski (STAN) led Bautista Viliicich (MSU), 6-1, 4-6, 2-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5