Wildcats Ready For 2022 NCAA Outdoor Championships
Jun 7, 2022
EUGENE, Ore. – The 2022 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships get underway on Wednesday, June 8 at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon and the Arizona Wildcats will have four athletes competing in various events.
NCAA Outdoor Championship format
- The field events will have two flights with 12 athletes competing in each flight (24 total athletes).
- The track events that the Wildcats are competing in – 100m hurdles and 400m hurdles – will have three heats with eight athletes in each heat. The top two finishers from each heat advance to the finals along with the next 3 best times.
- Athletes that finish in the top eight in their event earn First Team All-American honors.
On the women's side…
- Shannon Meisberger, the 2021 national runner-up in the 400m hurdles has qualified again for the event in 2022 after winning her preliminary heat in Arkansas last week with a personal best time of 56.39. Her first race will take place on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. (PT) where she is in the second of three heats that will be televised on ESPNU.
- The finals of the 400m hurdles will be at 3:57 p.m. on Saturday and will be carried live on ESPN.
- Talie Bonds will be making her NCAA Championships debut as she is in heat two of the 100m hurdles after posting a time of 12.85 at the NCAA West Prelims last week, which was good for fifth overall at the meet. Her semifinal heat will start at 6:32 p.m. on ESPNU.
- The finals of the 100m hurdles will take place at 3:12 p.m. on Saturday and will be aired live on ESPN.
On the Men's side…
- Jared O'Riley will get things started in the finals of the javelin at 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday. He is in the first of two flights and is coming off a PR in the event at the NCAA West Prelims in Arkansas last week, where his throw of 67.93m ranked 10th.
- Click here to watch the live feed of the javelin via ESPN3.
- Reinaldo Rodrigues will compete in the finals of the long jump at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday. He is in the second flight after finishing 10th at the NCAA West Prelims in Arkansas last week, where his leap of 7.73m was just 0.02m shy of matching his personal best.
- Click here to watch the live feed of the long jump via ESPN3
Most recent NCAA Champions from Arizona Track & Field
- On the women's side, the most recent individual NCAA champion was Sage Watson in the 400m hurdles in 2017, where she posted a time of 54.52.
- For the men, the most recent individual outdoor NCAA champion was Lawi Lalang in the 5k in 2014 with a time of 13:18.36.
- The most recent men's outdoor national champion in a throwing event was Esko Mikkola in 2000 in the javelin with a throw of 72.62m.
Related News & Videos
1 minute ago
1 minute ago