USC's Rai Benjamin Wins USA 400m Hurdles Title At USATF Championships
Rai Benjamin ran a world-leading time to win the USA 400m hurdles title and make Team USA for the World Championships during the final day of the 2022 USATF Outdoor Championships held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (June 26). The 2022 World Athletics Outdoor Championships will also be held in Eugene, Ore. from July 15-24. In addition, two current and three former Trojan athletes captured national titles recently in events in the countries of their citizenship.
At the USATF Outdoor Championships:
- Rai Benjamin (USC, 2019) won the USA men's 400m hurdles title with a world-leading time of 47.04. The 2020 Olympic 400m hurdles silver medalist has won the last three USA 400m hurdles national titles.
- Angie Annelus (USC, 2021) placed sixth in her women's 200m dash semifinal and 13th overall with a season-best time of 22.68.
Trojans around the world winning national titles:
- Tade Ojora won the 110m hurdles title at the British Athletic Championships with a time of 13.27w. It was his second consecutive British hurdles title.
- Rae-Anne Serville won the women's 400m title with a time of 54.69 for Trinidad & Tobago at the NGC-NAAATT National Open Championships.
- Aaron Brown (USC, 2014) was a double-winner, winning the 100m (10.16) and 200m (20.03) at the Canadian Athletics Championships. Brown now has won 10 Canadian national titles.
- Tynia Gaither (USC, 2016) won the women's 100m dash title at the Bahamas Athletics Championships. There was a snafu with the timing mechanism, so there is no official winning time.
- Amalie Iuel (USC, 2017) won the women's 400m hurdles title at the Norway Athletics Championships with a time of 55.03 which was her fifth gold in the event.
- Nick Ponzio (USC, 2018) won the Italian Athletics shot put title with a mark of 70-0.25. It was his second consecutive outdoor national title in the event.
# # # # #