Sun Devil Football Takes to Los Angeles for Pac-12 Media Days
LOS ANGELES -- Pac-12 Media Day is underway in Hollywood with Sun Devil Football captains Kyle Soelle and LaDarius Henderson in attendance alongside head coach Herm Edwards.
2022 Pac-12 Football Media Day, presented by 76, kicks off the 2022 season on Friday, July 29. Pac-12 Networks will feature complete coverage of all 12 teams, beginning with Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff at 8 a.m. PT / 9 a.m. MT on Pac-12 Network and the Pac-12 Now app.
Sun Devil head coach Herm Edwards will take to the main stage at 1 p.m. AZT, airing on Pac-12 Insider, the Pac-12 Now app, and Pac-12.com
Edwards will be joined by Soelle and Henderson at 3 p.m. AZT on the Pac-12 Network for the studio show with Ashley Adamson, Nigel Burton and Yogi Roth, also available on the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12.com.
#10THINGS - SUN DEVIL FOOTBALL
- ASU has held opponents to less than 30 points in 30 of 43 games under Herm Edwards, notable as it DID allow 30+ in 32 of 43 previous games dating back to a span from 2013-17.
- ASU has rushed for at least 100 yards as a team in 16 straight regular season games. It is the longest streak of rushing for over 100 yards as a team since the last 10 games of 1995 and the first 11 of 1996 - a 21-game stretch over two seasons.
- The Sun Devils were the only team in the FBS to not allow a 50-yard play last season, extending the program's active streak of games without a 50-yard play allowed to an FBS-leading 15 games.
- ASU is one of just three FBS teams to rank in the Top-35 nationally in fewest plays over 30 yards allowed in EACH of the last four seasons. Coincidentally, the other two teams in the category are the Pac-12's Cal and Utah.
- ASU held opponents to 400 yards or less in 11 of 13 games last season. Under Herm Edwards, ASU has held opponents to the 400 or less mark for total offensive yards on 25 occasions over 43 games (58.1 percent of the time). For comparison, ASU accomplished the feat just 24 times in the 65 previous games (36.9 percent) from 2013-2017.
- ASU has outscored opponents 847-451 in points off takeaways since 2012. Since 2012, ASU has scored 63.7 percent of the time following an opponent turnover (142 of 223) while finding the end zone 105 times in that span (47.1 percent). Conversely, opponents have scored just 48.4 percent of the time following an ASU turnover since 2012 (76 of 157) with 58 touchdowns (36.9 percent).
- ASU has 21 interception returns for touchdowns since the 2012 campaign, good for sixth in the FBS in that time.
- Sun Devil transfer running back Xazavian Valladay was named to the Doak Walker Award preseason watch list this month and enters the season as the FBS active leader in career rushing yards with 3,281.
- Redshirt senior linebacker Merlin Robertson has played 2,488 career snaps – the second-most of any returning linebacker in the FBS this season (Troy's Carlton Martial). According to Pro Football Focus, Robertson has been credited with just 24 missed tackles in his career, which is the second-fewest of any FBS linebacker with over 2000 snaps played over the last four seasons (USF's Dwayne Boyles on 23 on 2,121 snaps – over 300 fewer than Robertson).
- LaDarius Henderson played on 801 of ASU's 813 play snaps last season while Ben Scott played on 799 of ASU's 813 plays.
PAC-12 FOOTBALL MEDIA DAY: COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS
- Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff begins the day with opening remarks at 8 a.m. PT / 9 a.m. MT, airing on Pac-12 Network, the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12 Insider. Senior Associate Commissioner Merton Hanks and Stanford Director of Athletics and Chair of the Pac-12 Athletics Director Committee Bernard Muir will join the commissioner for a Q&A following Kliavkoff's opening remarks, also airing on Pac-12 Network, the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12 Insider.
- Interviews with all 12 head coaches and student-athletes begin at 8:45 a.m. PT / 9:45 a.m. MT on Pac-12 Insider, the Pac-12 Now app, and Pac-12.com for the day's morning session and resume at 1 p.m. PT / 2 p.m. MT for the afternoon session.
- Pac-12 Networks' Ashley Adamson, Nigel Burton and Yogi Roth will be live from Los Angeles to break down the upcoming Pac-12 slate, and preview the players and storylines to watch for this 2022 football campaign. The trio will sit down with all 12 teams beginning at 10 a.m. PT / 11 a.m. MT on Pac-12 Network, the Pac-12 Now app, and Pac-12.com, and a full schedule can be found below.
- Adamson, Burton and Roth will chat with Kliavkoff and recap the sights and sounds of the day during a special installment of, "Pac-12 Football Media Day," presented by 76, at 4 p.m. PT / 5 p.m. MT on Pac-12 Network, the Pac-12 Now app, and Pac-12.com.