Morgan Smalls Sets USC Women's High Jump Mark In Win At Razorback Invitational
Morgan Smalls won the women's high jump with a school indoor record, Earnest Sears III won the men's high jump and TeeTee Terry won the women's 200m dash during the first day of the Razorback Invitational held at Randal Tyson Indoor Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark. today (Jan. 29).
- Morgan Smalls won the women's high jump with a USC women's indoor record clearance of 5-11.50 (1.82m). Smalls entered the competition at 5-8.50 and when she cleared that in her first attempt she was already one of just three jumpers remaining. She then cleared 5-10.50 (1.78m) and 5-11.50 in her second attempt to win it. Smalls then pushed the bar up to 6-1.50 (1.87m) but was unsuccessful in three attempts. Amalie Iuel was USC's previous women's indoor high jump record-holder with a best jump of 5-10.75 (1.80m).
- Earnest Sears III made quick work of the competition in the men's high jump, not entering until only one competitor remained and then clearing his first five bars, the final being 7-5.00 (2.26m) which tied the meet record. Sears III tried to better his PR and school record, but missed three times at 7-7.00 (2.31m). Sears III owns USC's indoor high jump record at 7-6.50 (2.30m).
- TeeTee Terry won the women's 200m dash with a time of 23.35 and Nicole Yeargin was fourth with a slight PR of 23.65. Lanae-Tava Thomas originally looked to have won the competition with a time of 23.18, but was later disqualified due to Rule 5.5-2b (running outside of the lines as she stumbled and touched the railing).
- Smalls and Thomas both posted big jumps in the women's long jump with Smalls finishing second and Thomas third. Smalls had a PR of 20-7.00 (6.27m) in her fifth jump to grab second and move to sixth on USC's all-time list. Thomas had her best jump of 20-3.75 (6.19m) to finish third. That was just off her PR of 20-5.00 (6.22m) which now ranks eighth on USC's all-time indoor list.
- Brendon Stewart had a time of 21.33 for finish seventh in the men's 200m race, while Eric Allen Jr. was eighth at 21.41 and Daniel Robinson was 12th at 21.63.
USC will be back in action at the Razorback Invitational tomorrow beginning at 10:30 a.m. PT with the women's 60m hurdles.