Skip to main content

Soccer Closes Out Weekend With 1-1 Draw Against Weber State

Feb 14, 2021

Box Score (PDF) | Boxscore

HERRIMAN, Utah – The Utah women's soccer team played in its second-consecutive double overtime game of the season on Sunday afternoon at the Zions Bank Training Center where the Utes (1-1-1) walked away with a 1-1 draw against the Weber State Wildcats (0-1-1).

Utah played from behind after Weber State's Taylor Scadlock sent one past the Ute defense in the 23rd minute of the first half after a series of deflections put the ball in front of her with an open net. Taliana Kaufusi had gotten her leg on a trio of shots prior to the Wildcat goal, while Brooklyn James and Brianna Pearson both had attempts not too long after they were in the 1-0 deficit.

The Utes recorded five shots on goal in the first half and also had a pair of corner kick opportunities that the squad was unable to convert into a goal. Although allowing the Weber State goal, Utah limited the Wildcats to just one other shot on goal.

On the first shot of the second half, Haley Farrar sent a shot to the upper right corner and squared the match at 1-1 in the 57th minute after her first career goal. Farrar received the drop pass from McKenna Baillie, who recorded her first career assist on the game-tying goal.

Utah continued the attack and had three more shots and a corner kick following Farrar's goal that kept the pressure on, including another Farrar rip from outside the box that missed left. The Utes applied the pressure offensively in the second half, totaling eight shots, while the Ute defense stepped up and limited the Wildcats to just two looks at goal.

The clock ran to the end of regulation with the match still tied 1-all. Utah was unable to get off a shot in the first overtime, but Chelsea Peterson posted her second save of the game to ensure the match would continue on a shot by Weber's Jasmine Lotey in the 96th minute.

Utah controlled possession for most of the second overtime and in the 103rd minute, Farrar sent a shot in that was saved by Wildcat goalkeeper Mekell Moss. Shortly after, Weber State went the length of the field and got off an attempt of their own, but it was Peterson again with the save. The Utes and Wildcats both got off another shot, but neither made it to the goal and the time went on to expire with the match still at a draw.

The Utes will have a bye week before opening conference play on Friday, Feb. 26 against the Washington State Cougars in Pullman, Wash. First kick will be at 8 p.m. MT.

  • Farrar recorded her first career goal.
  • Baillie earned her first career assist.
  • Avery Brady recorded her first career start as a Ute.
  • Chelsea Peterson started as goalkeeper and played both overtimes, recording three saves. SJ Edwards collecting one save as Utah's second half goalkeeper.