Heading To SoCal
BERKELEY – California continues to make a late push for the postseason with its final regular-season road series at 18th-ranked UCLA this weekend. The series will be played at Jackie Robinson Stadium in Los Angeles, starting at 6 p.m. PDT Friday.
After an impressive series win over No. 12 Stanford on May 14-16, the Golden Bears (26-23, 12-12 Pac-12) still need a strong finish to the regular season with six total games remaining. Cal is currently 98th in RPI, but can quickly climb the ranks with multiple wins this weekend against the Bruins (31-16, 14-10), who are 25th in RPI.
The Bears are seeking their first series win at UCLA since 2009. In a trip to Westwood in 2019, Cal upended the top-ranked Bruins, 4-1, in game two of an eventual series loss.
- Matchup: Cal (26-23, 12-12 Pac-12) at #18 UCLA (31-16, 14-10 Pac-12)
- Location: Jackie Robinson Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
- First Pitch: Friday, 6 p.m. PDT | Saturday, 2 p.m. PDT | Sunday, 1 p.m. PDT
- Watch: UCLA Live Stream
- Live Stats: CalBears.com
- Projected rotation: Friday: RHP Josh White | Saturday: RHP Sean Sullivan | Sunday: RHP Grant Holman
- Cal is 4-6 in its previous 10 games played against UCLA.
- Cal's series win against No. 12 Stanford last weekend marked its first against a nationally-ranked opponent since winning two of three games against then-No. 15 UCLA on March 29-31, 2018 in Berkeley.
- Josh White continues to lead the Pac-12 in ERA (1.93) and is 19th nationally in the category.
- Dylan Beavers is second in the Pac-12 home run race with 14, two behind conference leader Ethan Long (ASU, 16). Not far behind Beavers is senior teammate Quentin Selma, who hit three long balls against Stanford last weekend to pull his season total to 11.
- Darren Baker is eight hits shy of 200 for his career with six regular-season games left. The do-it-all senior continues to lead the Pac-12 in defensive assists (144) while owning a .987 fielding percentage and is seventh nationally in stolen bases (26).
- Cal's pitching staff ranks fourth in the Pac-12 in WHIP (1.35). The Bears have issued four walks or less in 18 of 24 conference games.
- The Bears are 21-9 when hitting at least one home run, but just 5-14 when being held inside the ballpark. Cal has homered in 10 of its past 12 games, including seven times in four games against Stanford on May 14-17.
- Reliever Mitchell Scott has the hot hand lately. The right-hander hasn't allowed a run through 9.0 hitless innings while striking out 11 batters and issuing just three walks over his past seven appearances. Opposing batters are hitting .193 against him.