Pac-12 Women's Soccer Weekly Awards - August 24, 2021
Offensive Player of the Week: Nicole Douglas, Sr., ARIZONA STATE (London, England)
2 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 7 points
- The returning All-Pac-12 standout scored a pair of goals and assisted on three others to tie the second-highest single-game point total in program history (seven) in helping lead the Sun Devils to a 6-1 win over Central Arkansas in their season opener on Thursday.
- Peppered Southeastern Louisiana’s goal with a team-high nine shots in the Sun Devils' 2-1 win on Sunday.
- On teammate Olivia Nguyen's game-tying goal in the 79th minute, Douglas’ presence and subsequent attempted header on a cross in the box forced two SELA defenders to double-team Douglas, allowing Nguyen a clean shot to score the first of her two goals.
Defensive Player of the Week: Madelyn Desiano, Jr., UCLA (San Clemente, Calif.)
2 games, 3 assists, 3 points
- Recorded assists on half of UCLA's six goals and helped limit opponents to 10 total shots in a pair of season-opening victories last weekend.
- The junior made her first career start and assisted on the game's first two goals in a 3-1 win over UC Irvine.
- Played the full 90 minutes and assisted on game's second goal in a 3-0 shutout win at Cal State Fullerton.
- Helped hold Cal State Fullerton to just four shots and UC Irvine to six.
Goalkeeper of the Week: Makena Smith, Jr., CALIFORNIA (Murrieta, Calif.)
1 game, 1 goal allowed, 7 saves
- After joining the Golden Bears women’s soccer team on Friday, the All-Pac-12 Softball catcher was forced into a starting assignment for California’s contest versus then-No. 2 ranked Santa Clara.
- Smith stepped into the lineup after one day of practice, having not played competitively since she was a senior in high school, and held the Broncos at bay by making seven saves, including four in overtime.
- The junior played all 110 minutes, helping the Golden Bears secure a draw against the defending NCAA Champions.
Offensive Player of the Week: Abby Borchers, CAL; Shyra James, COLO; Ally Cook, ORE; McKenna Martinez, OSU; Abby Greubel, STAN; Mia Fishel, UCLA; Taliana Kaufusi, UTAH.
Defensive Player of the Week: Jayda Hylton-Pelaia, ASU; Emily Smith, CAL; Kayleigh Webb, COLO; Mia Palmer, ORE; Helena Brown, OSU; Naomi Girma, STAN.
Goalkeeper of the Week: Birta Gudlaugs, ASU; Dani Hansen, COLO; Bridgette Skiba, OSU; Katie Meyer, STAN; Lauren Brzykcy, UCLA.
|Aug. 24||Nicole Douglas, Arizona State||Madelyn Desiano, UCLA||Makena Smith, CALIFORNIA|