Ducks Go 2-1 on Day One of Husky Invite
SEATTLE, Wash. – The Oregon beach volleyball team went 2-1 during Saturday's round-robin play at the Husky Invitational at Alki Beach in Seattle. The Ducks collected wins over host Washington and Portland after setback to No. 8 Hawaii in the team's opener. Oregon (11-15) earns the No. 2 seed for tournament play which begins Sunday at 11:15 a.m. against Washington.
10 a.m. – (1) Hawaii vs (4) Portland
11:15 a.m. – (2) Oregon vs (3) Washington
1 p.m. – Third-Place Match
2:30 p.m. – Championship Match
Match 1 | #8 Hawaii 4, Oregon 1
The UO pair of Ashley Schroeder and Ella Tyus picked up a point with a 21-13, 21-13, 15-11 win on court four. The victory snapped a three-match skid and gave the duo their eighth win of the year.
The eighth-ranked Rainbow Wahine swept their way through the first three matches of the day. At No. 2 pairs, Alex Laita and Bea Wetton—up from their usual No. 3 spot—shook off a tough opener and forced a third set against Loker and Penner but the Hawaii pair came away with the 21-7, 18-21, 15-11 triumph.
1. Glagau/Van Sickle (UH) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) – 21-16, 21-17
2. Loker/Penner (UH) def. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) – 21-7, 18-21, 15-11
3. Santer/Widener (UH) def. Daley McClellan/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) – 21-11, 21-12
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) def. Maidment/Russon (UH) – 21-13, 21-23, 15-11
5. Hawken/Jackson (UH) def. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) – 21-9, 21-15
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 2, 4
Match 2 | Oregon 5, Washington 0
In their second match of the day, the Ducks registered a 5-0 win over Washington for their 10th victory of the season. The result also marked Oregon's second win of the season over its Pacific Northwest rival.
Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist got UO on the board with a 22-20, 21-11 win on court five. The Ducks' extended their lead with a straight-set win by Schroeder and Tyus, the pairs' second triumph of the day.
Oregon clinched the win when Daley McClellan and Batia Rotshtein, in just their second match together, finished off a 21-19, 21-16 victory over Griffin and Wilmes.
The Ducks completed the dual sweep with three-set wins on courts one and two. Each UO pair shrugged off an opening-set loss to rally.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) def. Loreen/Robinson (UW) – 17-21, 21-17, 16-14
2. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Bowman/Dahl (UW) – 6-21, 21-18, 15-12
3. Daley McClellan/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) def. Griffin/Wilmes (UW) – 21-19, 21-16
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) def. Calle/Yerex (UW) – 23-21, 21-15
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Petersen/Shook (UW) – 22-20, 21-11
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Match 3 | Oregon 5, Portland 0
Schroeder and Tyus completed their undefeated day in Seattle with a 21-10, 21-13 win over the UP pair of Mumolo and Stammberger. The result gave the duo their 10th victory of the season and put the Ducks ahead, 1-0.
The No. 1 pair of Reagan Hope and Brooke Nuneviller extended the team lead with a straight-set victory over Bradly and Zilbert, and for the second-straight match, McClellan and Rotshtein salted the dual away with their second win of the day on court three.
With sweeps at the No. 2 and 5 spots, the Ducks secured the win which pushes their winning streak over Portland to 10 in a row dating back to the end of the 2018 season. Oregon handed the Pilots a 4-1 loss in Eugene earlier this season.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) def. Bradley/Zilbert (UP) – 21-16, 21-15
2. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Helle/Helm (UP) – 21-13, 21-16
3. Daley McClellan/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) def. Lee/Strong (UP) – 21-17, 21-16
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) def. Mumolo/Stammberger (UP) – 21-10, 21-13
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Hawken/Jackson (UP) – 21-14, 21-16
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5
The Ducks return to their home courts at Amazon Park for the team's regular-season finale—and Senior Day—on April 21. First serve is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. against Portland. The postseason begins April 27 at the Pac-12 Championship in Tucson, Ariz.
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.