Pac-12 announces Baseball Players of the Week
STANFORD'S WILL MATTHIESSEN NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ARIZONA'S CODY DEASON TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Will Matthiessen, So., INF/RHP, Stanford (West Linn, Ore.)
• Matthiessen hit four home runs to help Stanford to a 4-0 mark last week, which featured a three-game sweep at Utah (12-1, 25-5, 6-4) and a 5-2 victory over local rival San Francisco.
• Over the four games he went 9-of-14 at the plate and recorded eight runs, nine hits, nine RBIs and a double. He batted .643 with a .688 on base percentage and 1.571 slugging percentage.
• Collected his first career homer in the non-conference matchup against USF on Tuesday to start the week, followed by one on Friday and a pair on Sunday against Utah.
• Earns first Pac-12 Player of the Week honor this season and Stanford’s 137th all-time weekly nod.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Cody Deason, Jr., RHP, Arizona (Ojai, Calif.)
• Deason threw a five-hit shutout to knock off No. 7 UCLA, 2-0, in the series opener on Friday and set the tone to lead Arizona to its first home sweep against the Bruins (3-1, 6-3) since 1991.
• Set new career highs with nine innings pitched and 11 strikeouts en route to the Wildcats’ first complete game shutout since JC Cloney accomplished the feat in the 2016 College World Series.
• Surrendered just one walk for Arizona's first complete game of the season and lowered his season ERA to 2.36.
Collects first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week award, Arizona’s 55th pitching honor in program history and the first for a Wildcat since 2016 (May 2, Kevin Ginkel).
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Alfonso Rivas, ARIZ; Tanner Dodson, CAL; Adley Rutschman, OSU; Stephen Dubb, USC; Joe Wainhouse, WASH
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Aaron Shortridge, CAL; Kevin Abel, OSU; Tristan Beck, STAN; Connor Lunn, USC; Jordan Jones, WASH
Thu 8/22 | 6:30pm PTLive