Triple-double nets Pac-12 Men's Basketball weekly honor for ASU's Cheatham
Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week (12/3/18) - Zylan Cheatham, R-Sr., F, ARIZONA STATE
SAN FRANCISCO - ARIZONA STATE redshirt senior Zylan Cheatham collects the first Pac-12 Player of the Week award of his career as voted on by media who cover the league.
• Cheatham, a redshirt senior from Phoenix in his first season with the Sun Devils, recorded just the second triple-double in ASU program history in Saturday's victory over Texas Southern, and finished one assist shy of the feat in Wednesday's triumph over Nebraska Omaha. Over the week's two contests, Cheatham narrowly missed averaging a triple-double with 13.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 9.5 assists along with 58 percent shooting (11-19 FG) and 2.0 steals.
• The 6-8 forward posted a line of 14 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in the 83-71 victory over the Tigers to join Jordan Bachynski in Dec. 2013 (13p/12r/12b) as the only Sun Devils to register a triple-double. It was the first triple-double in the Pac-12 since Dec. 2014 (Gary Payton II, OSU) and the 26th recorded in league history dating to 1985.
• Cheatham began the week with a similar performance with 13 points, 12 rebounds and nine assists in an 89-71 victory over the Mavericks.
• It is the first career weekly award for the redshirt senior transfer from San Diego State.
• Arizona State, which moved into the AP Top 25 on Monday at No. 20, is off to a 7-0 start for the second straight season and has now won its last 20 regular season non-conference games, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I. The Sun Devils will battle No. 6 ranked Nevada (8-0) on Friday at 9 p.m. PT in the Air Force Reserve Basketball Hall of Fame Classic from STAPLES Center (ESPN2). That game will be preceded by USC facing TCU on FS1 at 6:30 p.m. PT.
ALSO NOMINATED: Chase Jeter, ARIZONA; Matt Bradley, CALIFORNIA; McKinley Wright IV, COLORADO; Stephen Thompson Jr., OREGON STATE; Jaylen Hands, UCLA; Nick Rakocevic, USC; Noah Dickerson, WASHINGTON; CJ Elleby, WASHINGTON STATE.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
|Nov. 12||KZ Okpala, So., Stanford|
|Nov. 19||Jaylen Nowell, So., Washington|
|Nov. 26||Luguentz Dort, Fr., Arizona State|
|Dec. 3||Zylan Cheatham, R-Sr., Arizona State|