Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
ARIZONA'S AUSTIN WELLS NAMED PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
STANFORD'S ALEX WILLIAMS TABBED PAC-12 PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO —The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that ARIZONA's Austin Wells was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and STANFORD’s Alex Williams was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Austin Wells, So., C, Arizona (Las Vegas, Nev.)
3 GP, .545 AVG, .688 OBP, 1.182 SLG, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 4 R, 5 BB
• Helped the Wildcats pick up their first series sweep of the season against Albany (3-0).
• Picked up six hits and five walks in 11 plate appearances over three games against the Great Danes.
• Led the Wildcats’ potent offense with five extra-base hits and eight RBIs.
• The sophomore also led Arizona in OPS (1.870), total bases (13), slugging percentage (1.182), walks (5), and on-base percentage (.688).
• Hit a home run in Arizona’s season opener, giving him a home run in the first game of both his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Wells earns his first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the 70th all-time for the Wildcats.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Alex Williams, So., RHP, Stanford (Castro Valley, Calif.)
1 GP, 7 IP, 1.29 ERA, 3 K, 5 H
• Pitched seven innings and allowed just one run to lead Stanford to a 2-1 win over Cal State Fullerton.
• Facing a potent Titans’ offense, Williams struck out three and allowed just six baserunners in his seven innings of work.
• Following Fullerton's run in the second inning to tie the game, Williams faced just 17 batters to get his final 16 outs.
• The 2019 Freshman All-American improved to 9-1 in his career with the victory.
• This marks Williams’ first-career pitcher of the week award and Stanford’s 145th all-time weekly nod.
Player of the Week: Spencer Torkelson, ASU; Alex McGarry, OSU; Christian Robinson, STAN; Matt McLain, UCLA; Ben Ramirez, USC; Shea Kramer, Utah.
Pitcher of the Week: Quinn Flanagan, ARIZ; Rj Dabovich, ASU; Nick Proctor, CAL; Christian Chamberlain, OSU; Jesse Bergin, UCLA; Alex Cornwell, USC; Josh Giffins, Utah.
|Feb. 18||Austin Wells, Arizona||Alex Williams, Stanford|