Pac-12 Tennis Players of The Week - Mar. 3, 2021
Mar 3, 2021
MEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Keegan Smith, Sr., UCLA (San Diego, Calif.)
- Partnered with Patrick Zahraj, Keegan Smith kicked off UCLA’s match play with a doubles win against UC Santa Barbara. The doubles pair clinched the doubles point defeating Kai Brady and Stefano Tsorotiotis by a 6-2 score.
- Smith knocked off the nation’s No. 1 singles player, Daniel Cukierman of USC, in UCLA’s 4-3 loss to its crosstown rival.
- The triumph over Cukierman avenged a January setback and improved Smith’s record to 4-1 for the season.
- Smith is now 3-1 against nationally-ranked opponents, a mark that was bettered by a 6-2, 6-4 win over No. 27 Joseph Guillin of UC Santa Barbara earlier in the week.
WOMEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Salma Ewing, Jr., USC (Lakewood, Calif.)
- Junior Salma Ewing beat both of her ranked opponents in USC’s matches over the weekend: UCLA's No. 19 Jada Hart (4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)) and Oklahoma State's No. 77 Ayumi Miyamoto (6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)).
- Partnered with Clare McKee, the pair was able to make its final push in a back and forth battle to defeat Oklahoma State's doubles pair Lenka Stara and Alana Wolfberg.
- The junior was the only player on the Trojans roster to collect both wins in singles and doubles over the weekend.
- Ewing only has one loss on the season in both singles and doubles leaving her with a 5-1 record in both singles and doubles.