Skip to main content

Soccer Fights Oregon to a 1-1 Draw

Apr 2, 2021
Photo Credit: Isaac Wasserman

EUGENE, Ore. – The Utah soccer offense finally broke its scoring drought thanks to Ali Schinko's game-tying goal in the 76' minute that eventually sent the game into overtime before Utah and Oregon settled for the 1-1 draw late Friday afternoon at Papé Field.
Utah was pressed on defense for a large portion of the first half, trying to take away or clear the ball against Oregon. The Ducks had the first shot on goal of the afternoon in the 7' of the match, but SJ Edwards was able to get there in time for the save. After back-to-back shots from Kaylee Coatney and Kylee Geis, Courtney Talbot found an opening at the 11:00 mark but her shot was denied.
After a handful of substitutions between the two teams, Edwards came through once again with a great save point-blank after Lexi Romero booted one inside the box off a free kick in the 30'. Taliana Kaufusi and the Utes countered immediately as Kaufusi tried to go through the five hole but Oregon's Leah Freeman was able to get a hold of the shot.
Oregon then took a 1-0 lead in the 32' after Zoe Hasenauer converted on a penalty kick that was drawn on the nearside of the box. Talbot once again had a good look in the 36' deep inside the box but her shot was just left of the near post before Utah (2-7-3, 1-4-2 Pac-12) headed into the half down 1-0.
The second frame got a little chippy with two quick fouls on Oregon in the opening minutes before Kaufusi was given a yellow card in the 55'. Utah was much more comfortable in the second-half, and to an extent was playing on the offensive end much more than the Ducks (5-3-4, 3-2-2 Pac-12).
Starting at the 70' mark, Utah's front kept knocking at the door until it finally broke through in the 76' when Talbot connected with Kylee Geis inside, who then found a racing Ali Schinko for the game-tying score. Both teams had corner kick opportunities in the 79' and 83' minute, but neither were able to convert – which sent the game into overtime.

Midway through the first overtime period, Oregon's Hasenaur was assessed a yellow card of her own that paved way for a good look from Kaufusi that was narrowly wide right. The Utes had a near scare in the 99' when Oregon's corner kick landed 5 meters from the net, but Utah's back line was there to clear the ball out.
UO's Hasenauer, who finished with five shots, had a good look up the middle but didn't have enough juice on it with Edwards there for the save. Moments later, Talbot had a clean look on goal that had just a little too much power as it barely sailed atop the crossbar.
The Ducks then had a couple extra looks on goal, but nothing with force behind it to get past the hands of Edwards to end the match in a 1-1 draw.

  • Friday's goal was Ali Schinko's second-career goal and first of the season
  • Friday's goal was also Utah's first goal in 356-plus minutes of action
  • The six saves for SJ Edwards was the most in a single-game for the redshirt junior
  • Courtney Talbot picked up her fourth assist of the year and fifth overall
  • Kylee Geis picked up her first assist of the year and second-career assists