UA, OSU, UW seize early control of Pac-12 Men's Basketball race
INSIDE PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PODCAST:
The Inside Pac-12 Men's Basketball Podcast provides a new level of detail and nuanced insight into all things Pac-12 hoops, deep-diving into current conference play, Pac-12 alumni in the NBA, professional potential of current Pac-12 student-athletes, and much more. All-time Pac-12 scoring leader Don MacLean offers a unique perspective on the collegiate and professional basketball landscapes, stories from his career, and projections on student-athletes around the conference.
#PAC12HOOPS STARTING FIVE:
.469/.393 - OREGON STATE currently leads the Pac-12 in both field goal percentage (.469) and field goal percentage defense (.393).
- Only four teams have led the Conference in both categories dating to 1982-83: 1986-87 UCLA, 1987-88 Arizona, 1989-90 Arizona, 1991-92 Arizona, 1995-96 UCLA.
3-0/4-0 - Three Pac-12 teams have made it through the opening two weeks of Conference play unscathed:
- ARIZONA is 4-0 in the league for the third time in both the Pac-12 and Sean Miller eras following a sweep of the Bay Area, its league-leading 13th road sweep in the Pac-12 era. The Wildcats opened 10-0 in 2016-17.
- OREGON STATE is 3-0 in league play for the first time since 1992-93, the same year it most recently started 5-0 in Conference play.
- WASHINGTON is 3-0 for the first time since 2015-16 and coming off its first Pac-12 road sweep since 2013. The Huskies last started 4-0 in 2012-13 and 5-0 in 1983-84 (started 6-0).
4.20 - OREGON STATE’s Kylor Kelley ranks second nationally with 4.20 blocks per game.
- Kelley is on pace to break the Conference’s record block rate held by ARIZONA STATE’s Jordan Bachynski, who led NCAA Division I and set the league-record with 133 blocks (4.03 bpg) in 2013-14.
8 - The fifth-longest series win streak in the Pac-12 will be on the line this week as OREGON visits ARIZONA STATE with Pac-12 Networks’ “Pac-12 Basketball Pregame Show” live from Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.
- 18 - ARIZONA vs. STANFORD (dating to 2009)
- 13 - ARIZONA vs. WASHINGTON STATE (2010)
- 10 - UTAH vs. WASHINGTON STATE (2014)
- 9 - COLORADO vs. STANFORD (2012)
- 8 - OREGON vs. ARIZONA STATE (2014)
13.3 - Through 22 league games as of Jan. 14, the average scoring margin is 13.3 points.
- 8 games have been decided by single digits
- 2 games have been decided by one possession (3 pts. or less)
- 3 overtime games (3 total OT periods)
ROAD SWEEPS: They’ve been difficult to come by - just 45 in total - since the Pac-12 expanded prior to the 2011-12 season. Below is the number of road sweeps through each region and the most recent team to accomplish the feat:
- ARIZ/ASU - 4 times, most recently by UCLA in 2016-17.
- ORE/OSU - 5 times, most recently by USC in 2017-18.
- COLO/UTAH - 6 times, most recently by Washington in 2018- 19.
- UCLA/USC - 7 times, most recently by Arizona in 2016-17.
- CAL/STAN - 8 times, most recently by Arizona in 2018-19.
- WASH/WSU - 15 times, most recently by Utah in 2017-18.
A school-by-school total of road sweeps in the Pac-12 era:
- ARIZONA - 13
- OREGON - 9
- CALIFORNIA - 6
- UTAH - 5
- UCLA - 5
- USC, WASHINGTON - 3
- COLORADO, STANFORD - 1
- ASU, OSU, WSU - 0
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (All Times Pacific - Expanded Schedule Details)
|Thursday, Jan. 17||TV||Time|
|Oregon at Arizona*||ESPN||6 p.m.|
|Stanford at Washington*||ESPN2||6 p.m.|
|California at Washington State*||PAC12||7 p.m.|
|Oregon State at Arizona State*||FS1||7 p.m.|
|Saturday, Jan. 19||TV||Time|
|Stanford at Washington State*||PAC12||12 p.m.|
|UCLA at USC*||CBS||1 p.m.|
|California at Washington*||PAC12||2 p.m.|
|Oregon State at Arizona*||PAC12||4 p.m.|
|Oregon at Arizona State*||PAC12||6:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, Jan. 20||TV||Time|
|Colorado at Utah*||ESPNU||3 p.m.|
* Pac-12 Game
PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
NCAA.com Player of the Week:
Luguentz Dort, Arizona State (Nov. 26)
NCAA.com Team of the Week:
Arizona State (Dec. 24)