Stanford's Sharma earns second Pac-12 Men's Basketball weekly award
Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week (2/18/19) - Josh Sharma, Sr., C, STANFORD
SAN FRANCISCO - Stanford senior center Josh Sharma earns his second Pac-12 Player of the Week award of the season and of his career as voted on by media who cover the league.
• Sharma, who was also selected Pac-12 POW on Dec. 31, averaged a double-double of 18.0 points and 10.5 rebounds while shooting a blistering 85.0 percent (17-20) from the field to help Stanford sweep the L.A. schools at Maples Pavilion.
• The senior center from Lexington, Mass., went 7-of-9 from the floor en route to 14 points, nine rebounds and two blocks in a midweek 79-76 win over USC. He followed with his second career double-double - 22 points and 12 rebounds - in Stanford's 104-80 rout of UCLA on Saturday. Sharma's performance against the Bruins featured 10-of-11 shooting, including seven dunks, in just 28 minutes of action.
• Sharma is the first Stanford men's basketball student-athlete to earn multiple POW awards in the same season since Landry Fields in 2009-10 and only the sixth Cardinal to accomplish the feat (Matt Haryasz 2005-06; Matt Lottich 2003-04; Adam Keefe 1989-90, 1990-91, 1991-92; Todd Lichti 1988-89). It is also the Cardinal's third weekly award of the season, the most for the program since 2005-06.
• Sharma currently paces the Pac-12 in field goal percentage at 69.0 percent (98-142), a rate that would rank in the top 5 in league annals and be the highest in the Conference since UCLA's Jelani McCoy set the all-time mark of 75.6 percent (152-201) in 1996-97.
• Stanford (14-11, 7-6) is currently in a four-way tie for fifth place in the Pac-12 standings just a game behind third-place Arizona State. The Cardinal open this week against the Sun Devils in Tempe on Wednesday (6 p.m. PT, ESPN2) before visiting Arizona on Sunday (5 p.m. PT, ESPN2).
ALSO NOMINATED: McKinley Wright IV, COLORADO; Stephen Thompson Jr., OREGON STATE; Bennie Boatwright, USC; Jaylen Nowell, WASHINGTON; Marvin Cannon, WASHINGTON STATE.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK