Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Rachel Garcia, Jr., P/1B, UCLA (Palmdale, Calif.)
3 GP, 6 hits, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 7 PO, .600 AVG, .636 OBP
• Recorded six hits, eight RBIs and seven putouts with no errors to lead No. 1 UCLA to a weekend sweep against then-No. 5 Washington (3-0, 4-2, 15-6) in its first Pac-12 series of the season.
• Hit a go-ahead, two-run homer in the eighth inning to help the Bruins secure a 4-2 victory on Saturday and clinch the series.
• Capped the sweep with a career-high six RBIs and tied personal bests with four hits and three runs scored, finishing a triple shy of the cycle. Had an RBI single, two-run double and a three-run homer in the finale.
• Collects her second Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and 16th all-time Conference weekly honor, marking UCLA’s 155th and 156th all-time weekly nods.
• The history major is the third player in Pac-12 history to earn both the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week and Pac-12 Player of the Week in the same week (1998: Tarrah Beyster, OSU; 1993: Lisa Fernandez, UCLA), the only one to accomplish the feat twice in her career (April 16, 2018).
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Rachel Garcia, Jr., P/1B, UCLA (Palmdale, Calif.)
2 GP, 2 wins, 12.0 IP, 16 K, 0 runs, 3 BB, 0.00 ERA
• Posted a perfect weekend in the circle and tallied 16 strikeouts to open league play at then-No. 5 Washington, earning two of UCLA’s three wins last week.
• Did not allow a run in 12 innings of work and lowered her season earned-run average to 0.54, ranking fourth nationally.
• Struck out nine in a complete-game, three-hit shutout on Friday, limiting the Huskies to six base runners.
• On Saturday, fanned seven batters and conceded only one walk in five innings of relief to clinch the series.
• The reigning USA Softball, NFCA and ESPNW National Player of the Year collects her 11th Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor.
• Moved into a tie for the third-most career weekly honors in league history with 13, just four shy of the record (Danielle Lawrie, WASH - 17).
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Kelli Godin, Fr., UTIL, UCLA (Seal Beach, Calif.)
3 GP, 5 hits, 3 runs, 1 2B, 4 PO, .556 AVG, .556 OBP
• Went 5-for-9 at the plate with two stolen bases and three runs scored to help the top-ranked Bruins begin Conference action with a road sweep versus Washington.
• Recorded two hits, a run and a steal in the series opener. Sparked the offense in the sixth inning with a leadoff single for the first hit of the game as UCLA scored three runs in the sixth en route to a 3-0 win.
• Set a career high with three hits in the series finale as the slap hitter produced her second double of the season and swiped her 13th base.
• While majoring in pre-psychology, Godin collects her first Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor this season for UCLA’s 18th rookie nod.
Player of the Week: Dejah Mulipola, ARIZ; Shelby Weeks, OSU; Ellessa Bonstrom, UTAH.
Pitcher of the Week: Taylor McQuillin, ARIZ; Sydney Sandez, UTAH
Freshman of the Week: Ellessa Bonstrom, UTAH; Madi Huskey, WASH
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive