Pac-12 announces tennis players of the week
Pac-12 Men's Tennis Player of the Week: Dan Little, Sr., Utah (London, England)
• Nationally ranked Little came away undefeated at the first singles spot last week, helping the Utes defeat San Francisco, 4-0, and No. 12 Stanford, 4-2, although they fell to No. 46 California, 4-2.
• With a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Stanford’s No. 47 Alexandre Rotsaert to put the Utes up 2-0, Little was key in notching the Utes first victory over the Cardinal during head coach Roeland Brateanu’s five-year tenure. The senior helped seal the upset on Utah’s senior day.
• Owns a 6-1 record against top-125 opponents this season and a 15-5 overall singles record.
• The management major and 2018 Pac-12 All-Academic honoree earns his second-career Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Player of the Week honor, earning his first on February 12 this year. It marks the seventh all-time weekly honor for the Utes.
ALSO NOMINATED: Jonas Ziverts, ARIZONA; Nathan Ponwith, ARIZONA STATE; Mert Zincirli, CALIFORNIA; Patrick Zahraj, UCLA.
Pac-12 Women's Tennis Player of the Week: Melissa Lord, Sr., Stanford (Bloomfield, Conn.)
• No. 35 Lord contributed two singles wins and two doubles wins to help No. 5 Stanford blank both No. 36 Washington State, 4-0, and No. 15 Washington, 4-0, on the road. The Cardinal have won 11-straight games.
• With doubles partner Niluka Madurawe, the No. 36 duo notched two convincing victories on the third doubles court, defeating WSU’s duo, 6-1, and UW’s duo, 6-2.
• At the Cardinal’s senior day against the Huskies, Lord notched the first singles win of the day on court two with a 6-3, 6-4 result. Lord has now won seven singles matches in a row and is 20-8 overall on the season.
• The two-time NCAA Champion earns her second-career Pac-12 Player of the Week award, previously winning her first this year on February 26. It marks the 23rd all-time honor for the Cardinal.
• The senior studying public policy is a two-time Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention selection.
ALSO NOMINATED: Talya Zandberg, ARIZONA; Olivia Hauger, CALIFORNIA; Elysia Bolton, UCLA; Salma Ewing, USC.
The Pac-12’s nine men’s teams and 11 women’s teams head to Ojai, Calif., Wednesday, April 24 - Saturday, April 27 to decide the Pac-12 men’s and women’s tennis team champions. Pac-12 competition will be held in conjunction with the 119th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament. Fans can buy five-day, weekend and single day passes online at www.ojaitourney.org/tournament-info/tickets/buy-tickets-online.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK