Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Teaghan Cowles, Jr., INF, Stanford (Ridgefield, Wash.)
5 GP, 11 hits, 3 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, .688 AVG, .750 OBP
• Hit safely in all five games to help Stanford collect a pair of 8-0 shutout wins in a doubleheader against Saint Mary’s and clinch its second-straight Pac-12 series, taking 2-of-3 versus Oregon (8-6, 2-7, 7-6) last week.
• Connected for multiple hits in four contests with five going for extra bases as the Cardinal improved to 25-5 overall and 4-1 in the Pac-12, besting its overall and Conference win totals from last year.
• Opened the series against Oregon with her fifth homer of the season and two RBIs to lead Stanford to its best league start in program history (4-0).
• Reached base at a .750 clip and owns the third-best on base percentage in the Conference while ranking fifth among league hitters with a .426 batting average.
• Collects her third career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor (2019, March 5; 2018, Feb 14) and is the only Cardinal to win a weekly nod since 2013 while marking Stanford’s 57th all-time honor. Cowles is majoring in bioengineering and was tabbed a 2018 Pac-12 All-Academic First-Team member.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Taylor McQuillin, Sr., P, Arizona (Mission Viejo, Calif.)
• 2 GP, 2 wins, 12.0 IP, 15 K, 0 runs, 3 BB, 0.00 ERA
• Threw 15 strikeouts in a pair of two-hit wins last week to guide Arizona to its first-ever shutout sweep against rival Arizona State (8-0, 2-0).
• The senior allowed just four hits in 12 innings against the Sun Devils, who entered the weekend as the nation's top scoring offense and ranked No. 1 in the country in both home runs (65) and slugging percentage (.696).
• In Game 1, allowed one runner to reach scoring position in the Wildcats’ 8-0, five-inning win, then fanned seven batters over seven innings to complete the series sweep on Sunday.
• Picked up her sixth and seventh shutout victories this season, the third-most nationally, and improved to 12-5 overall with a 1.36 ERA, which ranks in the top-25 nationally.
• Fourth career weekly honor for McQuillin and second this season (March 5) for the 170th all-time weekly nod for Arizona.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Megan Faraimo, Fr., P, UCLA (Vista, Calif.)
3 GP, 3 wins, 18.2 IP, 18 K, 2 BB, 7 hits, 0.38 ERA, .750 FPCT
• Earned three wins last week and tossed 18 strikeouts over 18.2 innings in No. 1 UCLA’s midweek matchup against Cal State Fullerton (5-1) and two-game sweep versus California (1-0, 6-0) last weekend.
• Struck out 11 batters in a complete-game victory over the Titans on Tuesday.
• Did not allow a run or walk and threw seven strikeouts in 11.2 innings of work against California.
• Threw a complete-game, one-hit shutout on Sunday versus the Golden Bears and threw only 68 pitches on the week.
• Collects her fourth Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor this season for UCLA’s fourth-straight and 19th all-time rookie nod.
Player: Dejah Mulipola, ARIZ; Haley Cruse, ORE; Kelli Godin, UCLA; Morganne Flores, WASH.
Pitcher: Jordan Dail, ORE; Kiana Pancino, STAN; Megan Faraimo UCLA; Taran Alvelo, WASH.
Freshman: Jasmine Sievers, ORE; Emily Schultz, STAN; Sami Reynolds, WASH.
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK