Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Bubba Nickles, Jr., UTL, UCLA (Merced, Calif.)
3 GP, 7 hits, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 4 PO, .636 AVG, .582 OBP
• Went 7-for-11 at the plate with a home run and five RBIs in No. 1 UCLA's series victory over Oregon (3-4, 8-3, 8-1), recording multiple hits in all three contests.
• Tied a career-high with three RBIs in UCLA's win on Saturday followed by a season-best three hits on Sunday as the Bruins improve to 37-2 overall and 11-1 in league play.
• On Sunday, sparked the Bruins' late rally in the sixth inning with a base hit that eventually scored off a home run from Rachel Garcia to clinch the series win.
• The two-time All-Pac-12 honoree and sociology major collects her first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor for UCLA’s 158th all-time nod.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Gabbie Plain, So., P, Washington (Harrington Park, Australia)
2 GP, 2 wins, 13.0 IP, 22 K, 4 runs, 0.54 ERA
• Back-to-back double-digit strikeout performances in Washington’s wins over No. 24 Arizona State (8-4, 6-0) last week, becoming the fifth Husky to total 10 career double-digit strikeout games.
• Pitched six frames in the series opener, retiring the first eight batters and twice recording 1-2-3 innings.
• Threw 11 strikeouts and conceded only three hits in a complete game on Sunday, marking her seventh shutout-victory this season for the 10th-most in the country.
• Collected 22 total strikeouts and allowed only four runs in two outings against Arizona State’s top-5 nationally-ranked offense.
• Second Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor this season (March 12) and fifth-career weekly honor after being tabbed Pac-12 Freshman of the Week three times last season and earns Washington’s 107th all-time weekly nod.
• The pre-science major has been on the Dean’s List each of the last two terms.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Madison Huskey, Fr., OF, Washington (Cerritos, Calif.)
3 GP, 4 hits, 2 HR, 3 RBI, .571 AVG, .667 OPB
• The heavy hitter scored four runs off four hits while making only seven plate appearances in Washington’s series sweep against No. 24 Arizona State (8-4, 9-2, 6-0), extending the Huskies’ win streak to 13 games.
• Connected for two home runs in a single series for the first time this season while tallying her third and fourth of the year.
• The pre-science major records her first-career hit streak after collecting dingers in each game last week.
• Earned her third-career multi-hit game and second-career multi-run game to help clinch UW’s fourth-straight Pac-12 series sweep.
• Collects her first Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor for Washington’s ninth all-time rookie nod.
Player: Shelby Weeks, OSU, Emily Schultz, STAN; Morganne Flores, WASH.
Pitcher: Taylor McQuillin, ARIZ; Jordan Dail, ORE; Mariah Mazon, OSU; Carolyn Lee, STAN; Rachel Garcia, UCLA.
Freshman: Jasmine Sievers, ORE; Emily SchultZ, STAN; Megan Faraimo, UCLA.
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK