Pac-12 Men's Basketball - nation's tightest title race - enters penultimate week
The Inside Pac-12 Men's Basketball Podcast hosted by Mike Yam provides a new level of detail and nuanced insight into all things Pac-12 hoops, deep-diving into current conference play, Pac-12 alumni in the NBA, professional potential of current Pac-12 student-athletes, and much more. All-time Pac-12 scoring leader Don MacLean offers a unique perspective on the collegiate and professional basketball landscapes, stories from his career, and projections on student-athletes around the conference.
• The next closest Division I races among a league’s top five teams are the Big Ten and MEAC at 2 games.
• ARIZONA STATE is in sole possession of first place - the first time the Sun Devils have led the league this late in a season since joining the Conference in 1978-79.
• ASU is the sixth team to hold at least a share of the Pac-12 lead through eight weeks this season.
• With eight in the top 75, Pac-12 programs currently have a combined 20 Quadrant 1 and 10 Quadrant 2 opportunities in the final two weeks of the regular season, including 10 Q1 and five Q2 chances this week.
• Among major conferences as of Feb. 25, only Kansas (13) has a longer current win streak than ASU.
• UCLA’s five-game streak trails only KU, ASU and Kentucky (six) among major conference programs.
• OREGON has played six overtime games in total this season to tie Arizona State’s 1985-86 team for the most in a season among current Conference members. The Ducks are 5-1 in those contests.
• Tinkle is just 20 points shy of passing Gary Payton (2,172, 1987-90) for the OSU career record.
CALL IT A COMEBACK: 18 times in Pac-12 play this season has a team overcome a double-digit deficit to win.
Winning Team - Opponent (Largest Deficit)
Arizona State vs. Arizona (22)
USC vs. Stanford (21)
Colorado vs. Stanford (16)
Oregon at Washington (16)
Colorado vs. USC (14)
California vs. Washington State (14)
Oregon vs. Colorado (14)
Arizona State vs. USC (13)
Oregon State at Colorado (12)
Stanford vs. Washington (12)
UCLA vs. Washington (12)
UCLA vs. Washington State (12)
Utah vs. Washington (12)
California vs. Stanford (11)
Oregon vs. Arizona (11)
Washington State vs. UCLA (11)
Oregon State vs. Oregon (10)
USC vs. Utah (10)
TRACKING LEAGUE PLAY: Through 88 league games as of Feb. 25, the average scoring margin is 11.2 points.
• 46 games have been decided by single digits
• 14 games has been decided by one possession (3 pts. or less)
• 9 overtime games (10 total OT periods)
• 5 games decided on a team’s final possession
• 0 games decided on game’s final possession
ROAD SWEEPS: They have proven difficult - only five so far in 2019-20 and just 57 in total in 424 tries since the Pac-12 expanded for 2011-12.
• For the first time since expansion to the Pac-12, there were no January road sweeps in league play.
• ARIZONA leads the league with a pair of road sweeps this season (Bay Area & Washington). UCLA (Mountains), ARIZONA STATE (Bay Area) and STANFORD (Washington) have one each, including the first ever in the Pac-12 era for the Sun Devils and the second ever for the Cardinal.
• A school-by-school total of road sweeps in the Pac-12 era:
ARIZ - 15
ORE - 10
UTAH - 7
CAL - 6
UCLA - 5
WASH - 4
USC - 3
COLO, STAN - 2
ASU, OSU, WSU - 1
CAREER/SEASON RECORDS WATCH: Several Pac-12 standouts are climbing in all-time stats lists:
• OREGON’s Payton Pritchard (642) is 10 assists shy of moving into ninth in league history, and four 3-pointers shy of moving into the career top 10.
• OREGON STATE’s Kylor Kelley is 10th in both career (199) and single-season (95) blocks.
• USC’s Onyeka Okongwu (70) and WASHINGTON’s Isaiah Stewart (61) rank fifth and 11th on the league’s single-season freshman blocks list.
• OSU’s Tres Tinkle is ninth and 10th in league history in free throws (547) and free throws attempted (696).
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (All Time Pacific - Expanded Schedule)
|Wednesday, Feb. 26||TV||Time|
|Utah at Stanford||PAC12||7:00 p.m. PT|
|Thursday, Feb. 27|
|#21 Colorado at California||PAC12||6:00 p.m. PT|
|Arizona at USC||ESPN||7:00 p.m. PT|
|Oregon State at #14 Oregon||ESPN2||8:00 p.m. PT|
|Arizona State at UCLA||PAC12||8:00 p.m. PT|
|Friday, Feb. 28|
|Washington State at Washington||FS1||6:00 p.m. PT|
|Saturday, Feb. 29|
|Utah at California||PAC12||3:00 p.m. PT|
|Arizona State at USC||ESPNU||5:00 p.m. PT|
|Arizona at UCLA||ESPN||7:00 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, March 1|
|#21 Colorado at Stanford||ESPNU||3:00 p.m. PT|
PAC-12 PLAYERS OF THE WEEK